Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Casework FAQ's

General Casework
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Before starting the casework process, review these most common questions my office staff are asked regarding federal agencies and casework. 
Q: The agency has denied my claim/application. Can you help me appeal the decision?
A: While my office can make an inquiry on your behalf about the status of your pending case, or for clarification on the reasons for a denial, it would be inappropriate for me to compel any agency to decide an issue in your favor, or to overturn a decision that is final. My office does not have the power to mandate a particular action on a decision or to overturn a decision.
Q: Can you help me expedite my claim or application with a  federal agency?
A: Each federal agency has set criteria for considering expedite requests. You should first contact the agency/office where your claim or application is being processed directly to determine what is required for the agency to consider expediting your case. If you have trouble contacting the agency, please send the request, along with evidence showing a need for expedited attention, to any of my district offices. You may locate the district office nearest you here. Please refer to the “Tips for Requesting Casework Assistance” on my website.
Q: Can I request casework for a matter involving an agency under the jurisdiction of the State or county?
A: As a U.S. Congressman, my staff has access to liaison offices for all U.S. federal agencies. For assistance with a state agency or department, you should contact your representatives in the Alabama State Legislature, or contact the office of the Governor. The staffers in these offices have more direct access to non-federal agencies and can better review your concerns and respond to your letter.
Q: Can you help me with my legal case or court hearing?
A: House rules prohibit me and my staff from giving legal advice or intervening in court proceedings. If you are seeking assistance with a case that involves a lawsuit or that is pending litigation and you need help finding an attorney, please refer to the contact information for local legal aid here. You may also wish to contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the Alabama State Bar.