Congressman Mo Brooks Votes Against Pelosi $1.9 Trillion Borrow & Spend Political Payoff Bill
Washington, DC— Early Saturday morning, Congressman Mo Brooks (AL-05) voted against H.R. 1319, the Socialist Democrats’ political payoff bill that borrows and spends $2 trillion, putting America on a course to blow through the $30 trillion debt mark later this year.
Background: The bill includes, but is not limited to:
- Borrows and adds $2 trillion to America’s dangerously high national debt;
- Many billions are spent paying Americans not to work;
- $50 million in taxpayer money to support abortions or organizations that support abortions;
- $1.5 million in pork for a Senator Chuck Schumer bridge from New York to Canada;
- $112 million in pork for Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s underground subway from San Francisco to Silicon Valley;
- $123 billion for teacher union-related, non-COVID19 related expenses;
- $350 billion to bail out primarily Socialist state and local governments whose bad policies have severely damaged their own economies;
- $670 billion (over 1/3rd of the bill) is spent in 2022 and beyond, long after COVID19 is behind us.
Congressman Brooks said, “This bill is nothing more than a debt junkie and Socialist ‘wish list’ of feel-good, short-sighted, do-nothing borrowing and spending that hastens America’s inevitable and dangerous insolvency and bankruptcy while doing little to address the actual COVID19 challenges American families face. This bill spends many billions paying Americans not to work at a time when employers are struggling to find workers and Americans should be returning to the jobs that instill pride and self-sufficiency. Perhaps worse yet, Chuck Schumer gets $1.5 million in pork for a bridge from New York to Canada while Nancy Pelosi gets $112 million in pork for a subway from her city of San Francisco to Silicon Valley. These pet projects and pork spending have zero, nada, zilch to do with the COVID19 pandemic.”
Brooks concluded, “I cannot in good conscience sacrifice America’s future on the altar of debt addiction that Washington glorifies. Nor will I, with my vote, increase America’s debt by $2 trillion without substantively addressing real COVID19 problems. Neither I nor the Tennessee Valley citizens I represent want any part of a debilitating national insolvency and bankruptcy that this COVID19 ‘stimulus’ con job hastens.”
 House Republican Policy Committee. “BIDEN CHALLENGE - WHAT WOULD THEY HAVE ME CUT?” https://republicanpolicy.house.gov/sites/republicanpolicy.house.gov/files/documents/COVID%20Relief%20Biden%20Challenge_FINAL%20VERSION.pdf.