Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman Mo Brooks

Representing the 5th District of Alabama

Brooks Opposes Senate Debt Junkies' Bill That Rewards Illegal Aliens With Billions in Taxpayer Dollars

June 28, 2019
Press Release

Washington, DC— Thursday, Congressman Mo Brooks (AL-05) announced his opposition to and voted against the Senate’s open-borders spending bill (incorporated into H.R. 3401) that spends billions of taxpayer dollars rewarding illegal aliens who break America’s laws.

Congressman Brooks said the following:

“There are two principal reasons why the Senate’s $4.5+ billion ‘emergency’ spending bill is horribly bad for America.”

“First, as is so often the case, the Senate’s spending bill blows through $4.5+ billion in taxpayer money that is not paid for in any way, shape, or form. As is so often the case, the one bipartisan thing Washington power brokers and special interest groups agree on is spending money America does not have, has to borrow to get, and cannot afford to pay back.”

“America has a $22+ trillion debt and an estimated $900 billion deficit for this year. Both risk a national debilitating insolvency and bankruptcy that will destroy America’s economy and, in the process, take countless American lives. Washington politicians are far too often totally, blissfully, and dangerously economically ignorant of the threat these deficits and accumulated debt pose to America’s future. It has often been said that Washington is a math-free zone. Apparently, this bill, and others like it, establish that Washington is also an economics-free zone.”

“Second, and as I stated earlier this week about an equally bad Socialist Democrat bill, illegal alien tsunamis swamp Customs and Border Patrol resources on America’s porous southern border. Why is the problem so bad? Because Washington financially rewards and encourages illegal aliens to break our laws as their first act on America soil.”

“This so-called ‘bipartisan’ Senate monstrosity is all too symptomatic of the problem. While marketed as a border security bill, the fact is that only roughly 1% of $4.5+ billion spent in this bill arguably helps with border security. The other roughly 99% of spending makes America’s border security problem worse by rewarding illegal aliens who break America’s laws. In this legislation, American taxpayers are expected to shoulder the burden of paying border patrol agents to help, yes, HELP, illegal aliens come into America and, once here, reward them with free ‘Welcome’ mats, free health care, free ‘Happy Meals,’ free clothing, free shelter, and free transportation into America . . . all at American taxpayer expense.”

“The result of these horrific policies is a humanitarian and border security crisis. In the first half of Fiscal Year 2019, the number of illegal alien family units captured by Border Patrol roughly tripled over the previous year![1] Worse yet, the number of captured illegal aliens topped 100,000 in each of March and April.[2] Further, the numbers of illegal alien caravans have skyrocketed from two in FY 2017, to 13 in FY 2018, to 104 large illegal alien caravans of 100 or more individuals— totaling 17,242 illegal alien captures— in just the first six months of FY 2019.”[3]

“The American people are baffled why Washington has failed so badly to provide Americans with the border security they deserve. Bills like this monstrosity are the problem. And, Congressmen and Senators who support it are the cause of the problem.”

###

 

[1] https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-march-statistics-southwest-border-migration

[2] https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/from-the-border-more-frustrating-immigration-numbers-for-president-trump/2019/05/08/ad6ac140-71a7-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html?utm_term=.d2fd5a96993c

[3] https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-march-statistics-southwest-border-migration

 

Issues: